How do I pay for my care or support?

One of peoples biggest concern's is "How will I pay for the care I need"
We understanding how worrying it can be to find out if you are entitled to financial assistance. First of all you or a member of your family need to telephone Essex County Council on 01245 392300 and make arrangements for one of their experienced staff to come and help you with your financial advice for care. You will be under no obligation to accept funding, but it is best to know what you maybe entitled to so here are some useful links to help you find out more.


Funding for Domiciliary Care (Care in your own home) can come from a variety of sources. It may be that you are able to fund the service privately, social services may also provide full or split funding through direct payments, or via a personal budget allocated by the local authority.

Direct Payments

Direct Payments are cash payments given to customers in lieu of community care services they have been assessed as needing, and are intended to give customers greater choice in their care. The payment must be sufficient to enable the customer to purchase services to meet their needs, and must be spent on services that customers need.

They are means-tested so in certain cases people will contribute to the cost of their care.

For more information contact:

Personal Budgets

A personal budget is a clear allocation of social care funding from the local authority given to customers after an assessment, which should be sufficient to meet their assessed needs.

The Government has said that everyone who is eligible will be allocated a Personal Budget from April 2009.

People can use this money to purchase services that meet their needs and help them to achieve their outcomes. The money can be managed in a number of ways, by:

  • The person themselves via Direct Payment
  • A representative (an independent living trust, broker or provider organisation)
  • Adult Social Services or
  • A mixture of the above

If you decide to self-manage your personal budget, ecdp PASS offers a flexible payroll service for those deciding to employ a personal assistant.

Self Directed Support

If you would like further help or advice on funding options that may be available to you please call:-
Montécare on 01255 424245 or 01255 476107